Tuesday, January 20, 2009

my thoughts on that first day

When I signed up for Humanities 103 I assumed that I was going to be attending a history class that dealt with the 17th and 18th centuries.  I believed that on the first day I would sit down in my desk and have a bunch of facts about this period of time thrown at me and that was it.

 So you can imagine how surprised I was when Dr. F had us singing a Grogorian chant within ten minuets of the lecture, and when she had us singing in different pitches and tones I found myself asking if I was in the right class.  As it turns out I was, my assumptions on what the class would be were way off however. 

After being in class for several days it is clear to me know that Humanities 103 will be much more then just having a large sum of facts thrown at me while I sit passively in my desk.  I can safely assume that the class will have me participating on multiple levels to not help learn about the history of the 17th and 18th centuries, but how art, music, and architecture helped to create that history.

No comments:

Post a Comment